Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox

I am fascinated by this book, and just finished it for the 2nd time in a month. Imagine being a girl, in that straight laced victorian era, who is creative and feisty, and can't sit still. What did they do with girls back then? What happened when families couldn't control them. Well, evidently, a number of them were committed to asylums. What do you turn into when you have to stamp down all your imagination and every emotion? This is the story of one girl, whose spirit is threatened by some life events, and whose family cannot deal with it. We always will, I guess, live in a judgmental society, but to make everyone act in a way that society dictates, and that doesn't allow for any deviation from a pre-conceived "norm". Well, it just boggles my mind. I always felt like I was born in the wrong era. I should have been born in victorian times when I could have gardened, read books, worn beautiful clothes, and entertained gentlemen callers (you know, just to talk!!). This book makes you thankful for all the ways that society has grown to accept woman (and men) who have that creative, imaginative bent, that sometimes keeps people from just fitting in. If anyone reads this book - call me and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Lara Parent Photography said...

I remember you mentioning this book. Sounds interesting. It reminds me of a play I was in in college: The Insanity of Mary Girard. I was the mistress. I had that role a couple of other times (in plays, of course) too.

Hmmm...born in the wrong time...also interesting.