Friday, June 19, 2009

A Great Summer Read!

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton is a must read book. It didn't keep me quite as spell bound as The Thirteenth Tale, but all during the day I would be wondering what would come next, and look forward to coming home and beginning to read again.

It's a little bit The Secret Garden, a little bit The Thirteenth Tale, a little bit Charles Dickens and a little bit The Fairy Tales Grimm! I had some trouble in the beginning as the skips between eras didn't seem smooth to me, but it wasn't long before I was drawn into the story (I even resisted mightily the impulse to skip to the end and find out what was going on). I wanted to savor the wondering I had as I read and tried to figure out what would happen next.

A little girl on a ship is abandoned and adopted by a sailor and his wife. A family living in poverty is being followed by a sinister man. A young girl finds out she's adopted on her coming of age birthday. A granddaughter discovers she has inherited a cottage in England. An impish girl makes up stories to entice the neighborhood children. What weaves these circumstances together? You'll have to read it to find out!

1 comment:

Lara Parent Photography said...

Hmmm...if it was less spellbound than the 13th tale...can you read my mind. (hee hee!)