Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Am I Living a Life of Adventure?

The Crime Of Living Cautiously: Hearing God's Call To Adventure The Crime Of Living Cautiously: Hearing God's Call To Adventure by Luci Shaw

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I read this book because I feel like I DO live my life cautiously, and wanted to see what Luci Shaw had to say. It didn't hurt that she is one of the featured speakers at Festival of Faith and Writing at Calvin College this year. I liked how each chapter began with a quote and ended with reflective questions. In Chapter 7 (The Risky Adventure of the Unknown) she quotes poet Mary Oliver: "Listen, are you breathing just a little, and calling it a life?" Doesn't that just give you pause? Is this what I'm doing, cheating God of a life fully surrendered to Him because I'm a chicken? This paragraph ends with this thought:
"We need God to confound us with a mission larger than we are, so that we can call on Him for what we need and don't have."
I liked that. I need to listen more for God's call to adventure and listen to Him. I loved the ending thought from the last chapter:
"The cliff edge of our anxiety about the future may indicate that God is calling us to a new and different level of faith. When we walk, praying for guidance, to the edge of all the light we have and breathlessly take that first step into the foggy mystery of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things will happen: either God will provide us with something rock-solid to land on and stand on, or He will teach us how to fly."
Here's to flying!

View all my reviews >>

No comments: