Tuesday, November 10, 2009

If you are a Christian, and love Jesus, then you know He's called us to be the light of the world. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, partly because we're focusing on World Missions in Church, and partly because that's always a part of my thought process in my life as a Christian. Since we've been focusing on World Missions, we're seeing and learning a lot about the amazing work God is doing in countries where they don't have the gospel, or not allowed to share the gospel. Learning about people who are putting their lives on the line so that others can hear and share in the Good News.

This always makes me feel a little inadequate--I haven't gone to Africa, or India, or anywhere really, except to my desk at work every day. I believe that God uses me where I am, but somehow it doesn't seem like it measures up to the Great Commission. I'm trying to think differently about it, because I know God uses me, and I know I have some things He's wanting me to do right where I am that I'm really not too crazy about doing. Heart things that could make a difference in how hearts view Him. Do you think it counts if you do the heart things, but don't FEEL the heart things? (This is really a rhetorical question, I know the answer is YES, but wouldn't it be better and more honoring if my heart could do those things joyfully rather than reluctantly and with much groaning?)

If you haven't seen the "A Thousand Questions" video by Willow Creek you should take 10 minutes to view it. I think the ending in particular, clearly shows that we are called to help in the world, certainly, but also, the world isn't just far away places, but it's right here, right now, right where you are. There are school kids that need our help, people in nursing homes, homeless people right here in our own backyards, and yes the people we work and live with every day.

Perhaps some day I will go to a persecuted country and share the good news. Perhaps not. Maybe I'll always be sharing the good news in my own small way in my own small corner of Holland, Michigan. For me, the greater victory will be when "I will [not merely walk, but] run the way of Your commandments, when You give me a heart that is willing" Psalm 119:32 Amplified

In the meantime, I will remember the words of William Booth, and show God's mercy where I am.
"Not called" did you say? "Not heard the call" I think you should say. Put your ear down to the Bible, and hear Him bid you go and pull sinners out of the fire of sin. Put your ear down to the burdened, agonized heart of humanity and listen to its pitiful wail for help. Go stand by the gates of hell and hear the damned entreat you to go to their father's house and bid their brothers and sisters not to come there. Then look Christ in the face--whose mercy you have professed to obey--and tell Him whether you will join heart and soul and body and circumstances in the march to publish His mercy to the World. (my italics)

No comments: