Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Six Impossible Things

So I'm walking down a hallway, and from the corner of my eyes, I see a stack of books. Hmmm. . . . impossible to pass a stack of books without looking at them. I discover they are all the same book: Firstlight by Sue Monk Kidd. I pick it up, it holds nicely in the hand. I'm excited - I like Sue Monk Kidd. I stop at the office and ask if I can borrow one of the books over the weekend. "Oh, you may have one" the secretary tells me. "Really - to keep?" , "Yes, that's what they're for". Well, it certainly is a good day when you get a free book, and on top of that, discover you really like it! Which leads us to "Six Impossible Things". In one of the little homilies we are reminded that in Alice in Wonderland, the White Queen practiced believing six impossible things before breakfast. Kidd and her daughter decide to give it a try. I'm intrigued. What if I practice six impossible things before breakfast? What would they be? In Firstlight, the daughter wishes for 100 on her science test, and Kidd wishes for completion of two speeches she has to write before tomorrow. Guess what - both their impossible wishes come true. So, here are my six impossible wishes:
  1. To wake up full of energy and good cheer (and with balanced hormones). (Buechner says: Grace is a good night's sleep.)
  2. To create Shalom at work and at home. (Shalom: more than peace, it is where God's will is done--God's purpose is to do everything He can to replace chaos with Shalom)
  3. To slow down and give full attention to the people who "interrupt" my day.
  4. To ask God for guidance before making decisions.
  5. To be patient with whatever comes my way.
  6. To be content with the life God has given me.

4 comments:

Lara Parent Photography said...

Love the intro on this one! Hmmmm....six impossible wishes eh? I have a couple more for you I'd like to add to your list, but they are possible. :)

Tonia said...

Uh, Lara, I don't think you're supposed add Impossible wishes to other people. You're supposed to do your own...

Unless of course you want Barb to "eat dinner with Lara"
"spend a leisurely evening discussing books with Lara"
or "get Lara to do a photo shoot of my and my fabulous hubby."

then I suppose she won't mind you adding to her list :-)

Barb- I love this, I'm going to link it to my blog and put up my own ideas and see if it grows...

Barb Terpstra said...

This will be an interesting experiment - will be fun to watch and see what happens!

Lara Parent Photography said...

T,
But what if your deal friend has omitted some possible wishes where she must share her gifts and talents with a larger audience???
:)L