Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Do I Unleash God's Power?

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

If you enjoyed "Radical: Taking Back Your Faith From the American Dream" as I did, then this book is for you. Once again, Platt does not allow you to become complacent in your walk with God. He challenges us to really follow the faith practices that Jesus modeled for us while here on earth.


He reminds us
"Don't sit in a classroom; share your lives. Don't build extravagant places; build extraordinary people. Make disciples who will make disciples who will make disciples, and together multiply this gospel to all peoples."
Platt has a passion for igniting people to really take the Bible and God's message seriously. He uses God's word to convict us of the message of God (go and make disciples) and bring it to all people. He brought to my attention a verse that I had not considered before. Matthew 24:14
"This gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." (emphasis mine)
Platt explains that the original word for "nations" in the New Testament is "ethne" and refers to all the ethnic peoples of the world. What Jesus is telling us in the Bible is that
"the end of the age will come when people from every single ethnic group have come to Christ."
Platt tells us there are eleven thousand people groups in the workd and more than six thousand of them are still "unreached". This is an awesome responsibility that God has given us, and one that I personally need to grow in.

In the beginning of the book, Platt shares a story of a man who had spent most of his adult life involved in programs and serving on committees in his church. When he began to become active in discipling and leading others to God he realized that
"I have spent my life doing all the stuff in the church that I thought I was supposed to do. But I'm realizing that I have missed the most important thing: making disciples".
Isn't that just true for most of us? We do all the "right things" from a world point of view, but are we really following God's commandment to "make disciples".

This book will make you wonder - am I fully surrendered to God. It will make you ask - God, what do you want me to do.


No comments: