Sunday, January 1, 2012

Your Heart: The Well-Spring of Life.

When Crickets CryWhen Crickets Cry by Charles Martin

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Reading is such a great escape from life. While waiting for a book on hold from the library I reread this book by Charles Martin. I really need to try some of his other works as I really love this book.

When Crickets Cry could be categorized as Christian fiction, but, for the most part I think the story would appeal to all. A gifted heart surgeon has run away from his practice due to a tragedy in his life. He runs into an endearing little girl, Annie, who is in need of a new heart. Through a series of circumstances his personal tragedy and her story begin to overlap. It seems only he can heal her heart, and only she can heal his. I liked how the author blended the scientific knowledge of the heart, with the emotional aspect of the heart. I remember I had tears at the end of the story the first time I read it. It fit the bill for this Sunday afternoon.

One of my favorite things in this story is how the main character, Reese, throws in quotes throughout his conversations with Annie. One such quote by Augustine:
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising You because You have made us for Yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in You."
I had to look up this quote: "What the hand dare sieze the fire, and what should and what art, could twist the sinews of the heart? And when thy hart began to beat, what dread hand, and what dread feet? When the starts threw down their spears and water'd heaven with their tears, did he smile his work to see? Did he who made the Lame make thee? (William Blake: The Tiger--a poem I know, but had forgotten)

An example of some of the author's prose that resonated with me:

"There's a gold mine in salvageable wood draped in kudzu, pine needles and acorns is someone is willing to peel back the vines and plane the wood. It's a slow process, and you're bound to uncover a few snakes, but maybe lie is like that--you never know when something that's been hidden is going to rise up and bite you, or glow with a golden hue."

Even though this was a re-read, it still captured my heart and imagination.

View all my reviews

No comments: