Monday, September 1, 2014

A Swashbuckling Pirate Tale

Captain BloodCaptain Blood by Rafael Sabatini
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

If you want a swashbuckling tale similar to The Three Musketeers or The Count of Monte Cristo, then you should like this book. I enjoy the writing style of books published in earlier eras, and am always struck by how much more sophisticated the language was. I needed a dictionary for words such as this: pusillanimity (lack of courage), depredations(plundering), execration (great loathing) and invidious (act or situation likely to incur resentment). For years, when I've read books, I just inferred the meaning of words with the story--who wants to take the time to look them up in the dictionary? However, the kindle has changed all that for me, and I love being able to find the exact meaning with the touch of a finger.

Peter Blood has been unjustly accused of murder and ordered to hang. Fate intervenes, and instead he is sent to an island in Barbados as a slave. As a physician, Peter fares better than most, but, when freedom comes in the form of capturing and commanding a Pirate ship, he takes it. Although Captain Blood is a pirate, he gains a certain respect for the way he and his men treat the crews of the vessels he captures. Peter is always mindful of his behavior, and how it might appear to a certain lady he holds in high regard.

This was a fun story, and as stated earlier, I enjoyed the language and the setting. It was a nice escape during a rainy afternoon.


View all my reviews

No comments: