Saturday, February 21, 2015

Courage

The NightingaleThe Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I agree with other reviewers that this book is a departure from Kristin Hannah's usual style. This book is more serious in nature, and I do hope that Hannah will do more historical fiction in the future.

Everyone exhibits courage in different ways. For some, it might be radical courage, that can put you in harms way. For others, it may be a quieter, hidden kind of courage. Both can get you killed in Nazi Germany.

This book primarily focuses around two sisters, Vianne and Isabelle. Isabelle is a firebrand, and Vianne is more timid. Isabelle is eager to be somebody, to do something, to strike a blow against Hitler for France. Vianne is reluctant, she has a daughter to protect. Their differing personalities put them at odds with each other, but in the end, both sisters play courageous parts in protecting friends and strangers during the difficult occupation of France by the Nazis.

The Nightingale is based on the historical role brave women played during the War with Germany. Courageous women (and men) took serious risks to defeat the evil that was over-running their country. Courage is a commodity that is needed in our current world. I wonder what sort of courage I would exhibit if I was placed in a difficult circumstance, whether it be a war, or just speaking up for the right. Many cruel and terrible things happen in our world today, and it seems to me that I, and most others, are mostly silent. As I pray each day, courage is a virtue that I know I personally need more of.

Although The Nightingale is fiction, you will be drawn into the lives of Vianne and Isabelle. Their story will keep you captivated throughout.  



View all my reviews


No comments: