Monday, October 6, 2008

SELFISHNESS

I just finished The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. While it is primarily a story about survival, and focused accomplishment (how did those kids manage to overcome their surroundings and get out of a no-win situation and into school, success, relationships???), I was mostly struck by the selfishness of the parents, particularly mom. I think it is because I can so relate to her selfish feelings. How often have I NOT wanted to do something with my kids, but read a book instead--or create some sort of art or craft, or not make supper, or just lay on the beach, or even, not go to work. I mean really, there are so many things I would rather have done than be tied down to work, home, laundry, meals, bills, kids. My kids are grown now, but I have not forgotten the days when you could not even go into the bathroom and pee without some little voice calling for you outside the door. When you couldn't even read one entire sentence in a book without being interrupted!!

It amazes me that even though this mom gave in to every selfish feeling, that her children do not resent her, but still have relationship with her. It equally amazes me that their parents practically starved them, and they still had love for mom and dad, and wished them well, and tried to set them up for success. Where does that kind of steadfastness come from? If we knew, we could bottle it and help so many kids that are decimated by these kinds of relationships. What is in the core of their being that keeps them from giving up and keeps them moving on? Children are so fragile, and yet, they can be so strong.

And, the thing is, when we put aside our selfishness, and give them our full attention we are rewarded with so much love . . . their "interruptions" give so much meaning to our lives when we meet them at their need, and just dish out the love!

1 comment:

Tonia said...

I once had a student who managed to move ahead a whole grade and a half in reading during the same year that she was being abused by a cousin while her mom was out of the country. I knew her again later and she was still the shockingly successful kid she had been when she was eight. I've always wondered what she had in her core being that kids who go through less hard times don't even seem to have.