Thursday, December 4, 2008

Learning to Trust

This week I've been drowning in numbers. Ugh! I get to a point where I could just scream. I'm really not a numbers person - come on, I'm a reading person. I'm a social person. But numbers . . . wish I could do without them.

It's like trust in a way. I'm not naturally a trusting person. I'm a person who likes to know what life is bringing at them, not just today, but tomorrow and the day after that too. Some years are perfect for a person like me, there's a nice flow to family life, financial life, spiritual life. But, I have to say, most years are a little too bumpy for me. I actually, could very easily learn to do without them. However, if I could really learn to relax and lean into Jesus during those bumpy years, well, I think it would make all the difference don't you? Today's Christ of Christmas prayer was to "learn the art of walking by faith, even when it seems Your promises are delayed. Make trust the appetizer to every feast of Your abundance." Wouldn't my life look different if I could learn this art?

I think when I do learn to do this, (and, I must confess, those bumpy years do push me into learning faith), then maybe I will look as though I am wearing that "glistening garment of God" all around me and that the smile of God will shine through me on the companions God puts in my path every day. Instead of seeing "Grizzly Barb", maybe they will see a wholly different person. I am hopeful that Grizzly Barb doesn't show herself very often, but I know she is always lurking in the background!!

1 comment:

Rika Diephouse said...

Watch out! I think I'm Grizzly Rika right now. I liked the very same phrase from my devotions this morning. "Make trust the appetizer to the feast of your abundance."