Wednesday, December 24, 2008

It's Christmas

I have only time for a quickie post before heading back to the kitchen. My house is so clean, even the ceilings have been washed due mostly to an attempt to clean the dust above the fan and finding that the ceiling was a whole new color forcing me, actually, to do the whole thing. Yesterday I made THREE pans of lasagna in prep for Christmas day, and now I just have some tail end baking and last minute house arranging to do. I should be able to enjoy tomorrow with a Mary and not a Martha heart. I'm looking forward to going to Christmas Eve service tonight so my heart will be prepared as well as my house!

Trans-Siberian Orchestra & Lara Parent
Last night we went to the performance at Van Andel. I enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would. The first part was especially nice with the story and many traditional, though rev'd up Christmas hymns. The second part was also good, but I love stories and music, and the combination in the first half was a winner for me.
I got a bit distracted by the violinist with her sleek black leggings and boot combo with about 4 inch heels. She ran to and fro across the stage with her black and pink violin and contorted her body into positions I never could do, all the while playing her violin. She reminded me of Lara Parent on coffee. Yes, I could see Lara running around the stage, flipping her hair around, but instead of a violin, she would have books in her hands. I can just imagine Lara screaming to the crowd - read, read, read, while the flames leaped up and the lights flashed and she pulled children from the audience and gave them books of all kinds. I really think it could be done. What would you call a concert about books, and igniting passion for reading? The Bodacious Book Tour? The Radical Reading Rocker? Kudos to Lara this Christmas for doing ths every day with the kids at East K8. Check out their work and find some good book picks at The Happy Reader.

2 comments:

Lara Parent Photography said...

Barb,
You are too sweet! Thanks for your sweet words!!! That sounded like a great concert! Wow! And Anna has her own website! I dig her photos on her about me section. This woman MUST be into the Twilight series (just finished in while sick in bed.)

The style and voice in your writing continues to evolve. Bravo! I was totally making a movie when I read this. I think you need to explore fiction or fantasy writing. I also think you should explore working at East K-8/K-7 next year....in a capacity where you would guide kids to new and great books. I lent The Remarkable and Very True Story of Lucy & Snowcap to one of our top East K-8 readers: Kariana (a Pat/Tonia student of course, she fits them soooo well) and she is loving it. I'll see if I can get her to write a review of it on this blog!
Have a wonderful Christmas! I am off to address cards to the Sensational Reading Club...I am sadly unhappy with the print quality (new printer I tried. again. mistake) dull colors with a blue shift.
If I can update my photo blog, I want to put up an SRC website! I have more awesome photos and videos to boot!

xoxoxo I am thankful for your friendship and how you inspire me!

Barb Terpstra said...

Lara, sick in bed - that's too bad, I hope you are better for Christmas day! I'm tickled you read my blog (I hoped you would!). I'm going to have to cave and read Twilight. I'm totally looking for some read time during the rest of break! Love to you, Ralph, and Lucy :-)