Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Do You Think Elizabeth Bennet Didn't Like Making Love to Darcy?

I mean who can really believe that! Yet, in Colleen McCullough's new book "The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet", that is what she leads us to believe. Although this book is about the youngest sister, Mary, I picked it up to see what the author did with Elizabeth and Darcy. This is really a silly romance novel disguised to entice us by the title and our curiosity about Darcy and Elizabeth. I can't really say that I read this book, but I did skim it really fast so I could see what she did with the characters. It was disappointing. I mean, who can believe that Elizabeth would be disappointed in her marriage, and that the servants all don't like Darcy because he's cold and stern. I mean, come on, in Pride and Prejudice we learned the servants said he was one of the kindest, most generous people they knew. (On a side note here, how disappointing that when I went to pick up the link at BN the first page and a half was all movies, not even the actual book!) The story itself is a little fantastic, Mary was plain, now she's beautiful. Although beautiful, and more intelligent than in Pride and Prejudice, she isn't very smart in a practical sense. Then of course she does fall in love and into bed with her future husband before they get married, just like in any sordid romance novel. Fortunately, things do work out better for Elizabeth and Darcy, now he understands that he just needed to take his time and coax her into enjoying the intimacy of marriage. Ugh. I just really don't recommend this book. On another side note, Lara - I just can't believe you've never read Pride and Prejudice, THAT book, I highly recommend. This book, I can only rate as a 1.

1 comment:

Tonia said...

What?! Using Jane Austen to write something that's not even good is like cheating. If the author really wanted to make a statement, she should have left Mary plain and have someone fall in love with her anyway.

And Lara likes dark classics like Hemingway and Salinger, that's my theory on why she hasn't read P&P.