Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Mighty Long Way: My Journey to Justice at Little Rock Central High School A Mighty Long Way: My Journey to Justice at Little Rock Central High School by Carlotta Walls Lanier

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book was about the Little Rock 9, and the racial upheaval that took place during the desegregation of Central High. I am sad to confess my ignorance of history. I was not aware that the school was closed for a whole school year to both black and white students. This first person account was factual and interesting. The hurt to the heart is expressed in this sentiment: "Some days I was so mentally exhausted that I didn't have the energy to guard my heart. In those low moments, when the troublemakers hurled their insults, they smashed my spirit like bricks."

This would be a great book for teens I think. It made me want to learn more and I wanted to see pictures. The story of how one of the teens, Elizabeth Eckford ended up going alone on the first day they were allowed in (isn't that crazy, to have to be allowed in to a school), and how the mob treated her blows my mind. I think the part that gets to you is, how do I know I wouldn't act like that? When you see the pictures (look online), and the absolute hatred in people's faces it seems unbelievable - and it really is, isn't it? Who can believe human beings would treat others that same way. Carlotta says: "when I was suffering in those hallowed halls, they (white students and teachers) turned away. They did nothing. They said nothing. They chose not to see". It makes you stand up and take notice of what you are doing or not doing for people that are different than you today. . .

View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

Tonia said...

I'm not sure if this is the account of that story that I read, or another one, but I was powerfully affected by that story. I was struck by many of the things that you were, but also, perhaps oddly, by the different focus that both the students and the parents had. I was struck by their larger focus- on community and generations to come, rather than the narrow focus of "me and mine" that I find to be so common now. I see that their way changes the world, and the other way diminishes it.