Saturday, April 3, 2010

Inside the Chaos of My Mind


Lara, this post is for you. You wanted to see my sewing or "project" room, and so, here it is. It is full of ideas and imaginings and it is utter chaos, as you can see above!

This room reflects the creative side of me that never seems to have the energy to express itself anymore. My spirit is numbed and benumbed by ITBS, ELPA, MEAP, and Consolidated Grant. I never wanted to be a numbers person for this very reason. Somehow instead of feeding my energy this type of work depletes my energy and when I get home I just collapse exhausted in my chair and escape into a book. One lovely thing about art is that there are no rules, if someone says you can't do that, you just say "why not", or "yes I can" with no worries about the MDE police cracking down on you!

These little glimmerings of creativeness refuse to die, and so they live on in obscurity in my Project Room. They poke and prod at me wanting and waiting to be expressed in some way. They get birthed, so to speak, and then wait in silence to be given life. Now my room is so full of glimmerings that it is daunting to go in there and work on something. (I have other rooms that could house some of my projects, but I'm a little afraid I will take up every empty room in the house!). Enjoy the tour, but don't judge me on my messiness!

Addendum: It occurs to me that perhaps cleaning my project room should have been on my "Six Impossible Things" list!

5 comments:

Rika Diephouse said...

Barb, I love your creativity! I hope you will finish all those really cool projects :-)

Lara Parent Photography said...

WOW!!! Thanks for sharing! I actually see so many possibilities sans messiness! Beautiful work and ideas abound in this wonderful room! I love that you included your sketches and some of Jordan's work too! Wow......... to it all!! I think you should make a cape out of your dad's ties like Stuart did in Stuart Goes to School. I think you don't try too much, instead I think the dumb stuff (see post) tries you and takes far too much time....I raise my glass to balance! Was there a vacuum cleaner in the first shot? If so, hysterical! The judges were very wrong about your Rev 22 quilt. It should have won!

Barb Terpstra said...

yes, the vacuum cleaner is there, kind of hard to vacuum when you can't see the floor though!

Rika Diephouse said...

I just looked at the picture collage on picasa. I missed so much by looking at it on your blog! You are the most creative person I know. I love your stuff! You must finish the tabernacle and I will display it for you ;-) I love the heart sketch, and all the quilts in your photographs! What is the pretty white, lacey thing waiting to be mended. Pretty....

Barb Terpstra said...

The pretty white lacey thing is the jacket for my mom in laws outfit that she is wearing for grandkids weddings, 2 more this year. The tabernacle quilt will stay with me - nice try though!