Thursday, June 10, 2010

Fret Not

How neat to have Psalm 37:1-7 as the verses to read for Day 4 in my Forty Days to a Closer Walk with God journey. I ended my morning devotions with this exact same passage. Truly a conversation with God. The passage starts out with "Fret not", but the verses that speak to me are:
Verse 5: Commit your way to the Lord [roll and repose each care of your load on Him]; trust (lean on, rely on, and be confident) also in Him and He will bring it to pass.

Verse 7: Be still and rest in the Lord; wait for Him and patiently lean yourself upon Him; fret not yourself because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who brings wicked devices to pass.

I love the pictures that the Amplified version of the Bible evoke in my head. Roll and repose each care of your load on Him. I see all my burdens like a heavy stone wheel (you know, like in the BC comic strips) and what strength it takes for me to roll this burden on Jesus. I have to lean into the wheel with all my strength to roll it onto the Lord, then I have to let the "wheel of burdens" repose there. Webster's says that one of the meanings of repose is 'to take a rest'. Whew, I can let out a sign of relief now that my burdens are reposing on the Lord!

And then verse 7 - wait for Him and patiently lean yourself on Him. That just makes me feel so relaxed. I think of how good it feels when you're feeling, lost, alone, or just plain down, and then you have a friend that just gives you a great, gentle, loving hug, or just sits with you and holds your hand. It would be nice sometimes to have a physical presence of Jesus to lean into, but I guess that is what God created people for. To all my friends out there, thank you for all the times you have let me lean on you!

No comments: