Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Barb Thumb

For God alone my soul waits in silence; from Him comes my salvation. Psalm 62: 1

What an interesting prayer practice today! I am going to have to try this again and again because I couldn't quite get past "opening the door", so to speak.
"Imagine that you are the size of your thumb and able to enter the vast interior of your soul. Go deep within and explore what is there. Be aware that you have entered a holy place, the dwelling of the Spirit ofChrist. Stay there, and allow that entire space to fill with the love of God." from Forty Days to A Closer Walk With God.

I imagined that my soul was my heart, and that I walked in the door of my heart to be with God. It was to my mind like entering a very private and secret place. I was awed that God would meet me there. It sort of made me want to cry, but in the way that you feel when your emotions are too overcome to give expression. Not sure if that makes sense or not. Tozer and MacDonald both make reference to having a private place to meet with God. Tozer says:
From [humanity's] standpoint the most tragic loss suffered in the Fall was the vacating of the inner sanctum by the Spirit of God. . . .For so intimately private is the place that no creature can intrude; no one can enter but Christ, and He will enter only by the invitation of faith.

MacDonald says:
As the fir-tree lifts up itself with a far different need from the need of the palm-tree, so does each man stand before God, and lift up a different humanity to the common Father. And for each God has a different response. With every man he has a secret--the secret of a new name. In every man there is a loneliness, an inner chamber of peculiar life into which God only can enter. . . From this it follows that there is a chamber also--(O God, humble and accept my speech)--a chamber in God himself, into which none can enter but the one, the individual, the peculiar man,--out of which chamber that man has to bring revelation and strength for his brethren. This is that for which he was made--to reveal the secret things of the Father. - Unspoken Sermons: The New Name

I love that. A special place for me in God, and a special place for God in me.

No comments: