Monday, July 5, 2010

He knows my Needs

Matthew 6: 8b
For your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.

Isn't it nice to be known? It is not easy for me to let just anyone know me. There is a good book by Susan Howatch called Glittering Images which is about a bishop that hides his real self from the world, his wife, and his church. I think we're all a lot like that. I show you the nice and helpful Barb, but, be warned, there's a perfectly witchy Barb inside (just ask my husband). I don't find it easy to show my real self to a lot of people. That takes a lot of vulnerability, a lot of risk. If I show you my real self, and I trust you with my real self, and I love you with my real love--well, you may disappoint me. You may betray me. You could hurt me. That's scary. But, my Father, now He knows me. He sees all the way down to the marrow of me. He knows what I need before I ask Him. He even knows I'm going to be crabby at Him because He and I don't agree on what's good for me. But still, but still . . . He knows, and He still loves, and He promises never to disappoint. I like that He knows me like that. I like that my every thought, action, purpose is exposed to Him. It's weird in a way, cuz I know what He sees and it isn't good! But what a comfort, that He knows and He still loves.

No comments: