Friday, March 11, 2011

Piano Lessons

Piano LessonsPiano Lessons by Anna Goldsworthy

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I love music. I was brought up with it in my home as my mom played both the piano and the organ. Learning to play the piano was a struggle for me (I really never progressed much beyond being able to play some hymns and maybe 3 years of piano books?), so I really admire those who have the gift to bring such beautiful music out of the piano. I enjoyed "Piano Lessons" so much! Anna's portrayal of her teacher, Mrs. Sivan, and her own (Anna's) growth as a pianist is written in an engaging way. I particularly enjoyed how the author brought out Mrs. Sivan's desire for her students to hear the music and to play it with all the senses, not just to get the mechanics correct.

Early in the book Mrs. Sivan describes music as "logical fantasy". I loved that. What a great description. Additionally Mrs.Sivan instructs her student that "we are in dialogue with sounds". For me, music can really soothe my soul, or energize me while I'm about my work. I enjoyed how the teacher almost seemed to have known the composers as she taught their music to Anna. Mrs. Sivan is always emphasizing, "music comes from inside". I think that is what makes music beautiful to the listener.

Listen to what Mrs. Sivan says about Chopin and his B flat Minor Sonata:
"This sonata basically Chopin's requiem for himself. First movement starts with grave, and after all story begins. Second movement is about dance of life, busy busy busy, like in enormous excitement and anxiety. This is scherzo of life: joke in big sense. Why we have no time to sit down and listen, except when suddenly illness or something . . . and then comes third movement, funeral march. When you come through this music you will suddenly realize Chopin's own funeral, and he's watching to see how people will remember him."
This is how the piano teacher talks about composers, and playing the piano. The book is full of dialogue like this and I found myself charmed by the story.




View all my reviews

No comments: