Friday, July 29, 2011

War and Life Choices

Gifts of WarGifts of War by Mackenzie Ford

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Gifts of War begins with the World War I 1914 Christmas Truce (widespread unofficial ceasefires that took place along the Western Front around Christmas of 1914). I did not know this was a true fact until I googled it after finishing the book.
Wilhelm (German) and Hal (British) meet during the truce and have a conversation. In the course of the conversation, Hal makes a promise to Wilhelm, one he does not keep. This failed promise embarks him on a life of deceit. A life he willfully chooses. Here's the thing, Hal is not a bad man. He could be you, or me. The questions he asks as he makes his choices, could be questions you or I ask ourselves. Once you take that first small step of deceit, it is easy to take the next one, or two, or three. It is very rare that deceit does not catch up with us in some way, and this proves true for Hal.

There are so many other nuances in the book. Think how strange, and how amazing, for soldiers fighting to the death to stop, decorate their trenches, sing songs together and share gifts. They made plans to bury their dead during the cease fire. And then, in one or two days, to begin killing each other again.

What about spying for your country? This could entail literally sleeping with the enemy, killing acquaintances and the like. Basically, it is living a life of approved deceit. Deceit with honor. That's a misnomer if I ever heard one.

What about hating someone, just because they are German, or British,or Dutch, or Hispanic - and then, endeavoring, when war is over, to start over again in peace. Surely at that time, it is just a word, what about real peace? How does one attain it, that peace of Shalom (living harmoniously), after a war time experience.

These are some of the questions you'll ponder as you consider lives impacted by war, both in the past and the present.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Tonia said...

I'm intrigued by this book. I'm usually pretty honest- mostly out of laziness actually; lies are a lot of work, but I've lied when backed into a corner. I've colored the truth of the story to hide just exactly how awful I was. I've also wondered just what life circumstances would put me in a place were I would tell serious lies, the kind that take on a life of their own and require more lies. Because I'm not perfectly honest now, I know I'm capable of it. Then that makes me wonder what else I'm capable of.