Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Intrigued to Read More Hemingway . . .

The Paris WifeThe Paris Wife by Paula McLain

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I really liked this novel about Hemingway's first wife Hadley Richardson. This is one of those books that has me intrigued to figure out what's true and not true. Although the book is primarily about Hadley, the bigness of how Hemingway, and his counterparts lived their lives comes through loud and clear. I'm also struck again by how often gifted writers and artists seem to be such tortured souls. Does their talent eat them up inside so that they can't be separate from it. It seems like the talent becomes almost obsessive, leaving no room for balance in personal lives. If the novel is correct, Hadley certainly became totally caught up in Hemingway's life, losing her sense of self in him. It's terribly sad in many ways.

I loved that the book referenced the Nick Adams stories, which was a book club read. It always adds an extra piece of enjoyment for me when a book mentions books that I have read. I am looking forward to picking up Hemingway's "A Moveable Feast" which is his take on the Paris years for reference.

View all my reviews

No comments: