Sunday, February 12, 2012

Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss

I love this book! I am fortunate to have a copyrighted 1880 hardcover copy that includes a sketch of the author that my mom bought somewhere for 75 cents.

This is a sweet old fashioned story of a young girl, Katy, and her struggles to accept God's love. The circumstances of her life are told in journal format, and her story charmed me.

For me, this book is real - I resonate with her feelings of wanting to be a God honoring person, and my own selfish desires. I struggle with letting go of what I want and leaning into the life that God wants just like Katy. It is clear, as the book continues, that God uses Katy's struggles to mold her into a God honoring, unselfish woman. As she works through life's disappointments, or perhaps I should say just life in general, she becomes a person who can accept with peace the circumstances of her life. Someday, I hope to get to this place myself.

It was through this book that I learned about "The Imitation of Christ" by Thomas a Kempis.
You know, it is not often that I read a book about being a good person, and the fact that it doesn't just happen naturally. It is a struggle to let go of selfishness and take hold of self-lessness. It really cannot happen without, as Katy would say, "flying to God" to tell Him about it and accepting His help. A life for God really does go against what the world is about--self gratification.

Although the book is old-fashioned by the world's standards, it is still so real. I don't know about you, but every day I can get sucked more and more into the world and farther and farther away from God. There is a sweetness in flying to Him, and a strength that comes from spending time with Him. Someone, somewhere, recently said that this world is not our home, but we have a way to visit our home, and it is through prayer. This book is a picture of what it means to journey into being at home with God.

No comments: