Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Real Page Turner. . .

The Bird SistersThe Bird Sisters by Rebecca Rasmussen

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Loved the book. This was the first time I ever "read" an audio book, and it was a little challenging for me.

From the first chapter I was drawn into Twiss and Mille's lives. I was eager to get back into the story every day, and could hardly stand the fact that I couldn't read ahead to the end, which is a habit I engage in with the written page. In a way, I was a little obsessed with their lives as I wondered, how would it all end?

The reviewers are all over the place, some hating it and some loving it. Like all good stories, I think some bits of it are unbelieve-able, and yet believe-able at the same time. Is it sad, and discouraging sometimes, yes indeeed, but isn't that real life? We all make do with the lives we have,and sometimes we do well and sometimes we don't. In many ways this is a story about being dealt a hard hand in life, but persevering and making do nonetheless.

The other theme in the story is about the unselfishness (some might call it foolishness) of a gentle soul. In our world today, the person who is unselfish, or turns the other cheek, is looked at with sneering and contempt. We don't often acknowledge the beauty in the self-sacrificing act, nor honor the people who choose to live that way. Being meek and humble of heart is not considered a virtue. I personally think it is though, and who knows what rewards will be bestowed on those humble souls.

I love Twiss for her wild waywardness, and her contrariness. Sometimes we hold our emotions too close, and what comes out is not our real self. Twiss is a contrary but interesting and loveable character.

There were times in the story, when I had an inkling of what was going to happen and thought, oh no, not that! And then the "oh no" moment happened, propelling me to the wondering of what will happen next.

In sum, I was drawn into the characters of "The Bird Sisters". I looked forward to my evenings when I could begin listening again, to find out what was going on in their household. I kind of miss them, now that I'm done with the book.

Not sure what I think of an audio book. I will most likely try more books this way as you can multi-task (knit, do dishes, walk) and still be involved in a good story. . .

View all my reviews

No comments: