Saturday, September 8, 2012

Is Life Comprised of "Beautiful Ruins"?

Beautiful RuinsBeautiful Ruins by Jess Walter

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

One of the main reasons I picked up this book was due to the many outstanding reviews it received from other readers. However, if you are a reader who does not like switching between time and place and character, this book may not be for you (there are a number of switches of that sort). If you can stick with it though, those forays into earlier times will lend a deeper understanding of the characters in "Beautiful Ruins".

The book begins with the dramatic title "The Dying Actress",  which lays the groundwork for the entire book, although it will take a few twists and turns before you'll make those connections.

I've heard this book compared to "Bel Cantu", but (I know some of you will find this hard to believe), that was not one of my favorite books, so don't let that sway you to, or away, from "Beautiful Ruins".

Basically, I think this story is about our humanness. We are all human. We have dreams. We have failures. We make choices. Will those choices be for our good and the good of others?

The descriptions of Florence and the tiny towns surrounding, as well as the people of those towns were engaging and add to "Beautiful Ruins" charm.

The last chapter "Beautiful Ruins" ties everything together, and gives a lot of depth to the title. You will ponder the "beautiful ruins" in your own life upon completion of the story.

Upon reading this review over, it's almost like a non-review. I choose not to write about the characters or specific experiences as I don't want to give anything away. There is an interesting twist involving Richard Burton, which gave me a tickle. Overall, I think you will enjoy this book and getting to know the characters in it.

View all my reviews

No comments: