Sunday, March 24, 2013

Fact and Fiction Make an Interesting Read


The Aviator's WifeThe Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This novel, which mixes fact and fiction is told through Anne Morrow Lindbergh's eyes. She is depicted in the book as being overshadowed by her husband's personality, which I believe to be true. We don't see much of the Lindbergh who wrote "Gift from the Sea", although she emerges more at the end.

As always, for me, I want to separate the fact from the fiction and the author does us a favor but clarifying some of these points in the afterward.

Anne did have a hard life it seems to me, but still an exciting one. I liked how this book brought out that she was a pilot in her own right, and was her husband's co-pilot in a number of flights. She was the first woman to get her glider pilot's license. So, even though Charles was given the spotlight, she had accomplishments of her own. I always like it when we find out how strong women really are. In fact, if you google her you will see that she received multiple awards for books that recorded her travels with Charles.

I came away feeling like I've often felt after reading one of Anne's books that she had a hard life, but that she persevered. Whether you know a little or a lot about Anne, I think most readers will enjoy this book.

View all my reviews

No comments: