Friday, June 7, 2013

The Bookman's Tale: A Novel of ObsessionThe Bookman's Tale: A Novel of Obsession by Charlie Lovett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Based on the reviews for "Bookman's Tale", I was expecting that I would disappear into the story and forget that I even had a family for a day or so. It's a good story but I didn't quite disappear into another world.

Peter is grieving his wife's death and has isolated himself from everything and everyone. He's not suicidal, but he's not exactly living a cheery existence either. Besides all that he occasionally see's his dead wife's ghost. This part was a little disjointed to me - I really think you could leave it out and the story would not be affected that much.

What brings Peter back? He finds a mysterious picture and is obsessed with finding the painter. While pursing this mystery Peter bumps up against another mystery. Is there really a Shakespeare, or was another person really the author of the plays attributed to him.

During the story line you will learn some interesting history about the making and binding of books, those pieces were woven in quite nicely.

If you love books, murder and mystery, this may be a book for you.


View all my reviews

No comments: