Saturday, July 27, 2013

It's About Lydia and What She Done To Help Her Mama

Child of the MountainsChild of the Mountains by Marilyn Sue Shank
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

One thing I like about "Child of the Mountain" is how the book is written in mountain dialect through the eyes of Lydia, a young girl who, obviously, lives on the mountains.

Each chapter starts with "It". "It's about how BJ ended up going to Ohio" or "It's about having nothing to do and my real smart brother", or, Chapter 1, "It's about my problem.

Here's a bit from the first chapter to entice you:

"My mama's in jail. It ain't right. Leastwise I don't think so. Them folks that put her there just don't understand our family."

Lydia is forced to leave her mountain and go to school where everyone knows her mama is in jail and treats her meanly. If it wasn't for Mr. Hinkle, her teacher, and Ears the dog she wouldn't have anyone in her corner. And then of course there's Anne. That would be "Anne of Green Gables" who Lydia felt she had a real connection with. She often retreated to reading this when she was feeling low. I did like that connection in the story.

This is a good book to while away an afternoon when you just want something to take your mind off, but don't want to think too hard.

View all my reviews

No comments: