Saturday, July 27, 2013

Auggie - He's a Boy You Want to Meet

WonderWonder by R.J. Palacio
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is an excellent little book about a young boy who was born with a facial deformity. It is mostly told from this boy's perspective (August, or Auggie for short), although we do get to hear from his sister and others as well. We meet Auggie as his parents are considering having him attend a real school, instead of being home-schooled by his mom. Auggie, is very realistic about what he looks like and how people react to him, so he doesn't have high expectations.

I like Auggie a lot. He reads people very well, and even though he's afraid, he's also courageous. I'm not going to tell you much more, because I want Auggie to be the one to share his story with you. (This is fiction, but believable fiction.)

This would be a great book to read with your child - many of Auggie's experiences would be fodder for some interesting discussions.

Loved the ending but I can't share it here :-)!

View all my reviews

No comments: