Thursday, May 1, 2014

Bless the Women Who've Gone Before Us!

Book of Ages: The Life and Opinions of Jane FranklinBook of Ages: The Life and Opinions of Jane Franklin by Jill Lepore
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What an interesting book!

First I'll tell you the shockers for me. Ladies, we are so lucky! We can do just about anything we want. We can complain about women's rights, but baby, we've come a long way. So, here are some of the facts:
"Beware the bookish woman" was an adage of the age"
. . . at George Brownell's school . . . those few girls who enrolled were allowed to attend only after the boys had finished for the day, and what they learned was different: boys learned to write; girls learned English and French Quilting, Imbroidery, Florishing, Plain Work, marking in several sorts of stitches"
In 1771, Massachusett's poor laws had, for the first time, required that girls be taught to write.
Jane was the sister of the famous Ben Franklin. She and Ben were close while young, and he is the one who taught her how to write. Jane was ashamed of her writing, as she knew she was a poor speller, and was always apologizing it in her letters to Ben.

Many of Ben and Jane's letters did not survive, but of those that did you were able to get a sense of her personality. She truly loved and admired her brother. She loved to read and scoured bookstores to find and read Ben's books. She loved her family. In short, she was a well rounded person who cared for herself and her family despite a fairly worthless husband and the restrictions of her day.

Although Ben was often away doing his thing for the fledgling states, he did stay in touch with Jane, and tried to see to her comfort monetarily. She really needed the help too. According to the author,
"In 1748, Jane turned thirty-six. She had been pregnant or nursing, almost without pause, since she was sixteen."
This book will not only give you a picture of Jane, but a picture of the times, and of Ben. This is what I thought of Benjamin Franklin. He was smart, he was an inventor, he was a philanderer. This book changed my opinion of him. He is really a rags to riches story--for someone of his class to become such a learner and have success is a really big thing.

So once again. I am so lucky. With never a thought I pick up a book, I read, I write. I work and enjoy every opportunity that I seek out. I really need to pay much more attention to Woman's History Month (March) and celebrate the women who paved the way for me!


View all my reviews

No comments: