Saturday, May 24, 2014

Choices

Insurgent (Divergent, #2)Insurgent by Veronica Roth
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I still can't quite figure out why I like this series. Not a great way to start a book review is it?

Tris, our heroine, struggles in this second book of the Divergent series. As we left her in Divergent, she had lost her mother, her father, her good friend Will. She feels responsible. She can't shake these feelings, and it causes some strain in her relationship with Tobias. As a matter of fact, they were having so many misunderstandings that it was becoming a little old to me, I was ready for them to move on or give up on each other.

I do think that part of the reason I like the book is because Tris does struggle with her choices. Like many of us, she can't let these feelings go, but at the same time, she doesn't seem to quite grow up. We make choices. Our choices affect others. This is a huge part of the story line. Evil exists. How do we respond?

I continue to think that this series, read with your teen, would make for great discussions.

I'm not quite sure what I think of the ending, and look forward to reading the next book in the series. Since I am 205 out of 205 on the waiting list, it may be a while!


View all my reviews

No comments: