Sunday, June 1, 2014

Of Books and Bears

Brother Hugo and the BearBrother Hugo and the Bear by Katy Beebe
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is not your typical children's book. According to the publisher, Eerdman, this book is appropriate for ages 5 to 9. At first blush, I didn't really see where it would be a book a 5 year old would love. However, since there is a bear to find in every illustration, I've changed my mind.

I do like that as you read this book to a child, they are going to learn a lot. Behind the story of the bear eating books, you learn about monks, about how books were made in historical times and about how friends help friends when they have a large task to do. The prose is also written in a humorous fashion, which gives charm to the tale.

I like the language in Brother Hugo. It's old fashioned, set in the historical time frame of the story itself. (I am always a sucker for "old-fashioned" language anyway. I think it's quaint, and I guess people were just way smarter than us way back when, since they seem to have a better command of the English language than we do today.)

An added plus for me is the Author's Note and Illustrator's Note at the end. The notes are clearly written for young readers and stays with the theme of the book.

I thank Goodreads and Eerdman's for my free copy. It's always great fun to be a Goodreads winner! I will be keeping this book to enjoy with my granddaughter in future years.



View all my reviews

No comments: