Sunday, July 20, 2014

Book Three of the Divergent Series

Allegiant (Divergent, #3)Allegiant by Veronica Roth
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have liked the Divergent series, but towards the end of book 2, and throughout book 3, I've been disappointed in the relationship between Tess and Four. To my mind, their misunderstandings were turning into a lot of whining, and they didn't seem to learn from them. So, that part has annoyed me a bit.

I did, however, appreciate how the author used the thought processes of her characters, and Tess in particular. The characters were often uncomfortable with the violence they had to employ, and the choices that they made. I know it made me ponder the forces of good and evil and the choices that we make. We see violence all around us, particularly in the recent events in Israel, Palestine and Russia(killing of young/innocent people).

If you have teens reading this book, or if you are a person of faith, the entire series could lend itself to some good discussion. It is my understanding the author is a Christian. I would be interested to know why she choose this story line,and what, if anything, she hoped young people would learn from the series.


View all my reviews

No comments: