Sunday, July 20, 2014

Orphan Train

Orphan TrainOrphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Isn't it funny how well meaning people can disrupt the lives of the people they are trying to help?

The Orphan Train, although a novel, is based on a bit of American History, that helped some children, but perhaps other children not so much.

I liked how the author wove the story of Molly within the story of Vivian. We meet the child of today (Molly) and a child of yesterday (Vivian). We meet heartbreak and endurance. We meet love and hope. Their stories will touch your heart.

One of my favorite things is when history is woven into a novel and I learn something new. I not only make new friends through story, but it's framed in fact. Invariably this touches my heart and mind.

Can you imagine being an orphan and getting on a train and going from town to town to be "adopted"? Imagine the rejection when you are not chosen. Imagine the fear. Imagine being torn from all you know, perhaps even losing your name. It boggles the mind, and that is what the author helps us to understand.

There are some true orphan train rider stories at the end of the book,and those added to the depth of the story for me.

I would recommend this book to both the adult and young adult reader.

View all my reviews


No comments: