Sunday, September 21, 2008

"The Judas Field"

I don't often read books about war, but this book caught my interest during a summer shopping spree at BN - I got about 6 books for $3.50 each and they were all good! "The Judas Field" is a civil war story. The first time I started reading it, I couldn't get into it and put it down. Started it again this past week, and liked it quite a lot. It is a novel about war, and loss, and lives lost, and forever changed, by war. Those touched by it cannot just walk away and forget it - no, war colors their lives forever more. It reminded me in a small way, of, The Things They Carried, a true telling (or as true as their memories can allow) of the experiences of soldiers in the Vietnam era. There is no doubt in my mind that war changes lives forever. We send young men, and women, to fight. A cause may sound noble, but let's face it, war is about killing, it has to become a them or me mentality, or who could survive. How can anyone not be changed by that?

In The Judas Field Cass and Roger talk with Lucian, a 13 year old who becomes part of their unit, about God, and war. . . "Well, now, listen, you-all", said the boy. "If you are scared, do you . . . do you pray before?" "I don't believe God takes any part to speak of," Cass said. "Not in these fights of ours, anyway." "Well, why not?" asked Lucian. "He's in charge, ain't He--you said He was. Don't He pick a favorite?" "It would not be fair if He did," said Cass. "Anyhow, I guess we're all His favorites . . . I mean more or less". . .The conversation goes on and then Roger says that Cass is saying he has faith. "Tomorrow or the next day, there'll be a fight . . . Mister Wakefield (Cass) believes that God takes no sides but hopes for the best for everyone. I happen to believe the same. In a fight, lad, it is not so much us and the Yankees. The Angel of Death wants us all--that's where the real battle is, and why it's all so insane." [italics mine] "Well, could you pray to him then?" asked the boy. "The Angel of Death?" "You could," said Roger, "but he wouldn't listen. Only God does, and He can't help you right then." "Well," said Lucian, "there's no sense in praying a-tall, if you ask me"..."Hush,"said Roger, "Be still and listen, You must have your faith, and it will be sore tested...you look around and you might be tempted to ask where God was when all this happened. . ."He was there, He was there all along, watching and grieving. . .God is there with you, and whatever sorrow you are feeling--well, how infinite must the sorrow be in His heart?". Roger goes on to say, if you decide God is responsible, faith is gone, and no mortal can bear that. . ."That is why we pray, and fervently, but not for preservation"..."What do you ask for then?" said the boy. . ."To be forgiven" Roger says.

To be forgiven . . . it seems the best option, doesn't it?

1 comment:

Tonia said...

Of all the things I crave in life, I think that is at or near the top of the list. It's probably tied right up with my deep, deep desire to feel safe, safe in my soul. I wouldn't be surprised to find those two desires related.