Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Shack

Just finished this book, which a friend just loved. Read about it in the paper a few weeks back, and it seems to have caused some controversy in the Christian community. I liked it, and some parts of it resonated with me more than others . . . but, I didn't love it. The first part of the book was really distracting me -- I recently saw a news magazine story about a kidnapping from a campground that was similar to the situation in the book, so I couldn't get that out of my head. The news magazine story was amazing to me, as the mom actually talked with the killer several times, in the hopes her child was still alive, and forgave him. I admire that, not sure I could do it, even though I truly believe that is what God commands us to do, and also believe that the unforgiveness and anger in your heart will ultimately destroy you.

The second part of the book really gets into the heart of the story - one of relationship with Jesus, and growing in your understanding of Him and how He changes you. I did not feel offended by any of it, and some parts really resonated with me. The book didn't change my life however, or how I feel about being in relationship with God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. One person told me, that for them, the book showed how God is so much bigger than we can imagine. I think God is a huge mystery, the Bible tells us, who can understand His ways - I know I sure don't, and often wonder just what He is up to in my life. In church once, a preacher defined mystery as "radical amazement". That's how I picture it will be on the day that we are resurrected - we are going to be soooo radically amazed that I'm not sure we'll even be able to praise Him. We may just stand there in a stupor not able to utter anything at all.

As far as allegory's go, my favorite would be Hinds Feet in High Places by Hannah Hunard. This one really speaks to my heart.

2 comments:

Tonia said...

Interesting. I was curious to know what you thought of it. I think I already said that I don't plan to read it, but not because I'm worried I'll be offended. I'm pretty sure that the theology of the book is on the same wave of thinking as where I am right now. I just don't think I can handle the emotional wringer. Of course, I never thought I could handle the Kite Runner either, and I loved that book.

I just finished The Host by Stephenie Meyer, yes, the vampire lady, but this one is about an alien. It was a good story, not deep or anything, just a good yarn, and is that a bad thing?

Barb Terpstra said...

Good yarns are a VERY good thing. I have another for you - I mention it in my Glutton for Books post - "The Whistling Season" by Ivan Doig.