Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Remarkable and Very True Story of Lucy & Snowcap

I'm finally getting around to reviewing this vacation book - wow, vacation was over a month ago! I actually read this book the first night at the hotel (well, I didn't actually finish it that night, but I got a good way through it). The story held my interest, but, I'm not sure I thought it was as good as the reviewer did. I do think younger readers would like it, and will look forward to reading their comments (Lara, it will be up to you to get some readers/comments on this book for me). What I liked is that unlikely girl becomes the heroine, and in becoming the heroine, accepts and embraces the things that are different about her, and make her who she is. Actually, there are other characters in this book who also come to this place in their lives. I liked how unlikely people became partners, and learned to respect each other. I liked how there was some "magic" involved. I liked how although a little fantastic and hard to believe, it was also based on some real history, and the author shares that with us at the end of the book. Mostly I appreciated the author bringing a girl in as heroine and possibility, when so often girls don't like themselves and don't appreciate the gifts they bring to the world.

3 comments:

Tonia said...

You've caught my interest. Unfortunately my reading list is super long right now. I'm still working my way through a list a student gave me last spring.

Lara Parent Photography said...

I will definitely check it out now that you've donated your copy to our MC. I'll try to read over one of the upcoming breaks. I will also put one of my kids on it for a review.
Thanks and love you!!

xoxooxo
:)L

Lara Parent Photography said...

P.S. I love that on the book jacket it references "The Princess Bride" in that it is written in that tradition. Would that there were more hours, days, minutes, or that time would slow the heck down.
Thanks also for French Milk. Looks very interesting. I like that her name is Lucy, that she uses a Nikon, and that she has an interesting website: stoppayingattention.com

xo again!