Thursday, November 6, 2008

Home by Marilynne Robinson

Well, I read Home through one time, and it kept me up all night because I was upset about the ways characters acted and interacted with each other. I called my sister the next day and said--you LIKED this book? She did. Hmmmmm...we usually agree on these things.

We had some discussion on how certain characters reminded us of, well, certain characters in our current life. One thing that really bothered me is that Jack asked his dad and his friend (both ministers) if a person could be predestined to do bad things. I did not like that at all. They hemmed and hawed, and, instead of directly answering him tried to make a big theological discussion about it. He was trying to ask, am I made this way, or can I change. Finally, the wife of his dad's friend said "Yes, you can change--everything can change." Okay, why don't spiritual leaders just tell us this, rather than making a big debate (or trying to make a point) about things.

Jack's father says all through the story that he forgives Jack for his mistakes. He has done this all his life. Yet, in his old age and weakness, bitterness creeps out. He says things that hurt Jack and don't help him at all. Things that are not grace, but bitterness. I know I act this way too, but the "old gent" as Jack calls him, is dying, so let's get past this and on to the forgiving.

I felt the ending was hurtful, but real. I need another book to bring closure and healing to all the characters (okay, I do know that this does not always happen in real life).

The only person who shows Jack grace is his sister Glory. She has hurts of her own, but she continually strives to get past them and show grace. But, even her story is sad. Aaaaugh! I just didn't think I liked this book, yet, I couldn't stop thinking about it. So . . . reread it, and did find grace and beauty in the story after all.

I think I liked the prequel, Gilead, better, but this story involved my emotions more. Give it a try and tell me what you think.

No comments: