Thursday, February 19, 2009

Language of God Part 2

Thoughts have been flying around in my head for about a week now, so I'll see if I can make some sense of them on "paper". First, the BIG BANG! Science is in support of the Big Bang theory - go figure! It's intriguing to me how often science and archeology are proving Bible stories to be historically accurate, pointing to a real God who is involved in the world. It also intrigues me that even agnostic scientists seem to reluctantly come to this conclusion. Astrophysicist Robert Jastrow is quoted as saying: "At this moment it seems as though science will never be able to raise the curtain on the mystery of creation. For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries." (from God and the Astronomers) Isn't that great!

There are bits in this book that remind me of Narnia. It made me wonder, was C. S. Lewis so incredibly smart that he knew and understood some of the things science has discovered? For example, scientists believe that our sun is not the first sun, but maybe the 2nd or 3rd sun. In one of the Narnia stories, the children are in a world with the witch, and she says that the sun is a dying sun, and that world is ending. The other part that reminded me of Narnia was when Collins says "Nearly all of the atoms in your body were once cooked in the nuclear furnace of an ancient supernova--you are truly made of stardust". That reminded me of how in Narnia the stars were people. I always loved the idea of the stars being persons, so it's nice to know I have a little of that in me. Also, the Bible says that God knows all the stars by name so I like to think of them as living persons (kind of silly, I know).

As you read Language of God, you learn how everything had to be in certain measurements--there had to be just the right amount of quarks and antiquarks , mass and energy, gravity - everything had to be precisely right in order to have this universe that we live on be habitable for human beings. If anything was just a fraction off, earth would not have been. It rather boggles the mind, especially when you're not totally understanding everything you're reading. An example would be quarks - neutrons and protons are made of 6 quarks, and although I don't think I fully grasp what they are, I find it very whimsical that scientists named the quarks "up", "down", "strange" "charmed" and "bottom"!

I have to re-read so much because I think I grasp it when I read it, but then I don't fully remember it. I do find so much of it to be very interesting, and I like how Collins continually comes back to how Science and God don't have to be against each other, but in fact can support each other.

1 comment:

Tonia said...

Oddly, I felt the same excitement about the power and mystery of God when I read Brian Green's Elegant Universe, and I think he's an atheist. I think that means the beauty and power of God is either there or it's not and what we choose to believe about it doesn't really change that; it only changes us.