Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Oh for a Brain Like C. S. Lewis

When I read C. S. Lewis I sometimes feel like the scarecrow in wizard of oz - oh I wish I had a brain!!! I was looking in Mere Christianity for a quote I wanted for my Bible study group. I never found it, but I found lots of other good stuff! I was so excited I wanted to stay home and read some more and call up my friends and talk about it! I feel like Lewis makes my brain open up and understand things.

So, Tonia, this little clip is for you :-). His thought speaks to my comment of "replacing all of me with all of You (God)".
The more we get what we now call 'ourselves' out of the way and let Him take us over, the more truly ourselves we become. There is so much of Him that millions and millions of 'little Christs', all different, will still be too few to express Him fully. (such a cool thought) He made them all. He invented--as an author invents characters in a novel--all the different men that you and I were intended to be. In that sense our real selves are all waiting for us in Him. It is no good trying to 'be myself' without Him. . . It is when I turn to Christ, when I give myself up to His Personality, that I first begin to have a real personality of my own. . . at the beginning I said there were Personalities in God. I will go further now. There are no real personalities anywhere else. Until you have given up your self to Him you will not have a real self. Sameness is to be found most among the most 'natural' men, not among those who surrender to Christ. How monotonously alike all the great tyrants and conquerors have been: how gloriously different are the saints. (Love this last sentence--isn't it just true!)

2 comments:

Tonia said...

I can go along with that. I was still having trouble with the hymn that you posted with the last post on this topic, but I just didn't comment on it.

This telling of what you mean by giving up one's self makes logical sense.

Barb Terpstra said...

I had an idea that poem might bother you! I am smitten with this type of "mystic" thinking :-)