Friday, July 17, 2009

Saints in Limbo

It was the kind of day when even the lost believed. When possibilities were larger than reason, when potential was grander than circumstance, when the long dark days of doubt were suddenly cast off and laid to rest. Brushed away with a smile and a certainty. And in this moment, from this place, you knew the real magic could happen.
Okay, I started this at around 11:30 last night (my husband was snoring), and ended up staying up till 2 am to finish it. If you were as attracted to this very first paragraph in the book as I was, you will want to run to the library and get Saints in Limbo by River Jordan. This is the first book I've read by her, but am eager to read more from this wonderful storyteller. I did not know this book was christian fiction--it is definitely the good variety of christian fiction. I didn't think it was smarmy at all. I truly dislike smarmy christian ficiton! She uses wonderful language as well, something that is often missing from many genres of books. For example:
The firstborn leaves of March had sprouted into the tiniest sea of baby green. The world was breathing in and out, moving everything in its path slightly, and on due course, with a gentle, four-edges-of-the-earth kiss.
Isnt' that great? I'm not going to return this book to the library for a while, it's worth a re-read.

2 comments:

Rika Diephouse said...

I put it on hold at the library. Thanks for the recommendation.

Tonia said...

I love when you pull out little bits of books just to share the beauty of the words :-)