Saturday, August 9, 2014

Faith, Hope and Love Put To The Test

Mennonite Meets Mr. Right: A Memoir of Faith, Hope, and LoveMennonite Meets Mr. Right: A Memoir of Faith, Hope, and Love by Rhoda Janzen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

There is much to like about this book. Like Mennonite in a Little Black Dress, there is humor, and love of family. What I liked best about Rhoda's continuing story though, is how God was growing her. It tickles me that a woman who left the Mennonite community is now a Pentecostal attending church woman.I think it amuses Janzen a little bit too.

I liked the introspection that Janzen shared:
God respects our right to choose. Do we want to connect with Him, or do we want to live a life without him? We get to pick.
The difficulty of a marriage is that we fall in love with a personality, but must live with a character.(Peter DeVries, American Novelist).
Janzen,and other memoirists, are so honest. I don't know that I could write with such abandon and just lay myself out there like that.

It also tickles my funny bone that this modern woman, who is embracing God's Word, and working on obedience to Him is now displaying a definite conservative bent, at least from society's standpoint. What I see from this book is a woman who is moving into becoming the woman God created her to be. You will enjoy her story and learn from her!



View all my reviews

No comments: