Sunday, August 17, 2014

Twenty Years Too Busy?

Learning to Walk in the DarkLearning to Walk in the Dark by Barbara Brown Taylor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"Step 1 of learning to walk in the dark is to give up running the show."
Hmmm, that one is a hard one for me!

Although this quote only touches the tip of the iceberg in Barbara Brown Taylor's newest book, it captures, for me, my great fear of not being in control of my circumstances. God keeps reaching out to teach me, to humble me, into trusting that He is with me in every life situation that I encounter.

Taylor talks throughout the book of society's interpretation of light (good) and evil (dark). There is an assumption, or at least a willingness to equate, darkness with evil, or absence of God.

Fear of the physical dark is not something I have struggled with. Interestingly enough, my favorite time of day is my morning prayer time, when I turn out the lights, and focus (or attempt to focus) my attention on God. For me, physical darkness is essential during this time. Relationship. This is what Taylor is moving us towards. Darkness is not bad, whether it is physical dark, or the darkness of grief, or fear, or loneliness. Dark times, yes, but God is still with us.

My favorite chapter is Chapter 5, "The Eyes of the Blind". In it, Taylor tells about her experience with Dialogue in the Dark, which is a way for sighted people to learn what it is like to be blind. Participants are plunged into darkness, given a cane, and then taken through several activities so they can know what a blind person experiences every day. She writes about how she doesn't know if her fellow participants are old, young, people of color, tall or short. She goes on to say:
"Maybe someone should start an Opaque Church, where we could learn to give up one kind of vision in hope of another. Instead of wearing name tags, we would touch each other's faces. Instead of looking around to see who's there,we could learn to listen for each other's voices."
This book also reflects my current journey. I feel, or have felt, pulled into a frenetic style of living. This book reminds me, slow down, experience your emotions, look, listen, be aware of the world and the people in it.

Towards the end of the book, the author and her husband are outside, in the dark, watching the moon rise. Her husband asks, "How long has it been since we've done this",and she answers, "Twenty years". "Why?" he asks.
"He and I both know why, but the answer makes me so sad that I cannot say it out loud. We have been busy. For twenty years."
If you are a reflective reader, then this book will give you plenty to ponder.



View all my reviews

No comments: