Saturday, August 9, 2014

The Light Between Oceans

The Light Between OceansThe Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the best book I've read in a long while. It took me out of myself and into the story. The characters were my fellow journey men and women and their choices impacted my emotions.

Tom and Isabel (Izzy) are very different people. Tom is thoughtful and introspective; Isabel is  young, a little naive and playful. Like many of us married couples, they don't always understand each other, at times disappointing each other (and me!).

Izzy and Tom are bound together not just by love, but  by time and space. While living on this remote island, Isabel has two miscarriages and a stillborn birth with only Tom to attend to her. Tom tries to comfort her, but they grieve so differently and at times communication breaks down.

Out of the blue, a baby washes up on the island, and they claim her as their own. But, when their sweet Lucy turns 2, things start to unravel.

I was at times so disappointed in Tom and Izzy. They are just like you and me, people with choices. Our choices always impact people, we don't always know in what ways. They don't just affect other people, but also ourselves.  As I read I'd be saying to myself, oh no, they won't do that, will they? Their story captured my full attention. I was eager, yet sort of dreading, to see what would happen.

The author did a good job describing both the beauty and the loneliness of the Island, as well as the beauty and the function of the lighthouse. Additionally there were some nice analogies between the lighthouse and life.

I came late to this book, as it was a bestseller some while back,but I highly recommend it!



View all my reviews

No comments: