Saturday, August 15, 2015

Beryl Markham: Fact or Fiction?

Circling the SunCircling the Sun by Paula McLain
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I think I may be getting frustrated with books that are part biography and part novel. While I enjoyed getting to know about Beryl Markham's life (her accomplishments as a woman are amazing), I kept wondering how the author could know what she (Beryl) was really feeling. Of course she can't, and she has every right to take creative license as it is a novel, but I find myself wanting to know the real bits. That said, I am intrigued to read Beryl's book, West With the Night, so I can see what she has to say in her own words.

To be fair, as a story, I would give it 4 stars, the 3 stars are my frustration with not knowing what is truth and fiction.


View all my reviews

1 comment:

Rika Diephouse said...

West with the Night will give you a better picture of her life, I think, and talks a lot more about her flying.