Saturday, August 15, 2015

Fun Adventure Series for Adults and Children

The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1)The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this book series, which contains, The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, The King of Attolia, and A Conspiracy of Kings. This review really encompasses all four books which I read over a weekend. Let me just say, I am very sad that books 5 and 6 are not out yet.

So, disclaimer here, these are children's books, for ages 10 to 14. I don't think I'll disclose my age, but I am well past that, and yet became thoroughly caught up in the story. I say story because even those these are 4 separate books, they are the continuation of the lives of Gen, Irene, Helen and Sophos.

The stories have a feel of Greek myths, although the gods have been created from the author's imagination. There is adventure, betrayal, forgiveness and love (both true love and friendship love).

Gen says he can steal anything, and sets out to do just that. The whole series is based on this premise.

Gen is adept at hiding who he really is, but that doesn't keep him from being captured by the Queen of Attolia. The consequence of being a thief in her kingdom was a truly shocking one. What happens after the consequence is even more surprising.

This quote from the goodreads book description captures some of the intrigue of Book 2:
When Eugenides finds his small mountain country at war with Attolia, he must steal a man, he must steal a queen, he must steal peace. But his greatest triumph, and his greatest loss, comes in capturing something that the Queen of Attolia thought she had sacrificed long ago

Whether you are adult or child, pick up this series for a quick and adventuresome read!



View all my reviews

No comments: