Monday, September 12, 2011

I'm a Fan of Gary D. Schmidt

Okay for NowOkay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I don't know why I never read any Gary Schmidt prior to this year. I had heard good things about "Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy", and just never picked it up till now.

I am in the weird spot of wanting to tell you all about these books, but, at the same time not wanting to tell you anything about these books--I don't want to spoil the stories for you.

So, instead, I'll tell you some reasons I'm enjoying this author.

1) He weaves culture and history into the stories - you're learning as you go. Not everything has to be new and technologically exciting--there is beauty in history, and character.

2) He respects kids and their instincts as to what is right and wrong.

3) He shows us that adults can learn from kids.

5) Grace and forgiveness are not named, but, they definitely show up in these stories.

6) I want to know the background conversations between the moms and dads . . . I think this author totally shows in his stories how a moms quiet influence has an impact on the family. I used to say to friends that I'm the mirror of what happens in my house. If I'm crabby and mean, it spreads to the rest of the family. If I practice the fruits of the spirit - peace, love, joy, etc., that is mirrored in my family.

Definitely pick up these books and enjoy a quiet afternoon with them . . .

View all my reviews

No comments: